Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I have arrived!

Hello everyone! Man, these past couple days have been crazy wonderful. The amount of stuff my mom and I jam-packed into the past 3 days is unreal. We hit many of the main "touristy" stuff and let me just say, there is a reason that these places are prime spots in Ireland. So much history, so much culture and so much beauty is embedded in this country that I am in a constant awe. Here are some of the sites we saw on Day One :

We first hit up Trinity College, an amazing and famous place in Ireland. You could feel the history in the air.



Had to take a picture of this. So stereotypical yet so fun!

Then, we headed to Grafton Street, which is one of the major shopping spots in Dublin, and St. Stephen's Green, a lovely park in the middle of the city. 

Grafton Street
St. Stephen's Green
St Stephen's Green

What I love about Ireland already are the random churches beautifully placed between modern buildings.

St. Stephen's Green
St. Stephen's Green
St. Stephen's Green

After those major spots, my mom and I just got lost in the city.

Mansion House





After this first day, I had my first Guinness. It was a necessary thing. :)

Day Two:

On Day Two, we did the famous tour of the Book of Kells. In my first semester I took a Celtic Christianity class, which was the reason I chose to come to Ireland for a semester, and we learned extensively about the Book of Kells. This day was so special because I GOT TO SEE IT IN PERSON. It was the absolute coolest thing ever.

After the tour of the Book of Kells, we got to go into the Long Room at Trinity College. The Long Room is an older library in Trinity that is not in use anymore but are allowed to go in and look around. It was breathtaking, especially for a library and book lover like myself.

Long Room in Trinity College


They had all these busts, lining up both sides of the library, of famous philosophers, scholars and leaders throughout history.


I was in heaven. 

After that, we headed to the Dublin Castle, a wonderful piece of architecture in the middle of the city. 

Dublin Castle
Inside Dublin Castle




Let me tell you, Day Two was so packed with visiting places that it keeps going! After, we headed to Christ Church Cathedral, another landmark in Dublin. It was amazing.

Christ Church Cathedral
My lovely mom in Christ Church Cathedral


On the right is Christ Church Cathedral and the smaller building is attached to it by a bridge. Inside the smaller building is an interactive Viking Museum. I was immediately entertained. After you went through the first floor of "Viking Dublin," then the second floor of "Medieval Dublin," you reached the third floor about the archaeological work in Ireland. Then, you have the choice of climbing 7 flights of stairs, up Michael's Tower, to get a view of all of Dublin and beyond. So, up I went and it was well worth it. 




View from the Tower of Michael

After, we visited the Guinness Storehouse, a fun and lively place that was full of things to do. We even got to learn how to pour our own drink! 





Day Three:

Today, we went to visit my school and check out the northern part of Dublin. We had a little shopping adventure but were suddenly greeted by a crazy wind and rain combination that was quite hilarious to be in. Me and my mom were laughing so hard because it was so forceful and my umbrella kept getting flipped up! 

River Liffey 
Dublin City University
Dublin City University

So, me and my mom were rolling about this name of a pizza place. I mean, we might be but it is unsure. 


The wind was whipping and so fun. 

These past 3 days were a wonderful beginning to knowing this city and country, inside and out. If my whole time here is like the past couple days, then I will be one happy girl. :)

Thanks for checking these out. Will post soon! I move in tomorrow so that shall be interesting! 

xoxo,
Halle 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you and Mom are having an amazing time! What a beautiful city Hal. You are going to have such an amazing semester. Keep the posts coming! Love it!

    ReplyDelete