Sunday, October 19, 2014

Barcelona!

Hello everyone! So sorry I have been delayed in writing this. We were on a cruise for 12 days and there was no wifi on board! Definitely a shocker but I secretly liked it, apart from not being able to update this! 

So, after our final dinner at Oxford (pictures on my Facebook), we left the next morning for Barcelona! A quick flight and we were there. The architect, Gaudi, had a lot of influence in Barcelona, from his buildings to the tiles that line the streets. Very cool place over all! Our first real day, we did a bike tour of the city. It was... interesting. Especially because I was trying to take pictures while riding a bike. Kind of difficult. Nevertheless, very cool way to see the city. We saw major works and cathedrals, like the Sagrada Familia, and we rode to the beach (which the sand is from the Sahara Desert!). Good times!







Random modern art 



There is the group in front of Arc de Triomf





Sagrada Familia





Cool beach!


So, my time in Barcelona was filled with visiting Gaudi's major works. I did a wonderful night tour of his Casa Mila with Olivia. Super cool! I love visiting things at night. Here are some of the pictures...

Gaudi always had a open space in the middle of the buildings for natural light and air. He was actually very progressive in his environmental designs for his time period. 





So, the design here is based on a ribcage, and each arch is different. 


The roof was the coolest part. Now each of these is a chimney. Another art piece that has a function. 







The entire design of the house is based on a wave, one never-ending motion.



My twin. Love her (also, cool skirt = wind moment). 

View from the roof. 

My camera flipped out with the lighting but I thought it looked super cool. 

The next day, I visited another one of Gaudi's buildings. This one is called Casa Botllo. Very, very cool. I loved the colors and the design of the building. It was my favorite thing I saw in Barcelona.







Again with the open space in the middle of the building. It was for natural light in order to help conserve energy. 

Beautiful chimney design. The roof, again, was my favorite part. 





Here are some pictures of very cool spots in Barcelona...

The Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia





While we were waiting in line for the Picasso Museum.

Another Gaudi work: Part Guell. 




Amazing view of Barcelona. 



The Sagrada Familia looked so small from way up here. The park is set at the very top of this massive hill, overlooking the entire city. 

The plateau you can stand on to see the best view. 

Overall, very cool place and cool people too! Next stop on my catch up of posts is Greece. I will combine all of our port stops in Greece together. Adios, for now!

xoxo,
Halle 

1 comment: